Weather Forecast Offices, River Forecast Offices, and National Centers were provided with an HP Z-600 which was intended for use as a WES-2 Bridge workstation.
WDTD will provide each WFO, RFC, and National Center with a WES-2 Bridge modification kit which includes:
- 24 GB Memory
- Two 1.5 TB Hard Disk Drives
- 1 Blu-Ray Optical Drive
- Mounting Brackets and Cables
The AWIPS program is refreshing the WES-2 Bridge hardware at WFOs in two phases. In the first phase, each WFO will have received an HP Z-620 worksation by early November. In the second phase, they will receive wide-screen monitors.
RFC and NCEP sites will use their existing HP Z-600 workstation for WES-2 Bridge.
Specifications for Non-NWS Users
The WES-2 Bridge software manages parts of both the server and client processes of AWIPS-2. The hardware must be capable of running both AWIPS-2 CAVE, AWIPS-2 EDEX, and the WES-2 Bridge software. In addition, WES-2 Bridge actually manages several instances of AWIPS-2 EDEX, which substantially increases the memory requirements.
These specifications are minimum requirements:
- CPU: 2.4 GHz or greater speed with at least 8 processing cores
- System (OS) disk: 256 GB Solid-state device (SSD)
- Data Disks: at least 3 TB
- Memory: at least 32 GB RAM
- Graphics Card: capable of running AWIPS-2 CAVE (nVidia Quadro 4 GB cards are known to work; this is not a specific recommendation)