Starting this session is easier than with previous versions of teletraining software. Let's start with time=0 being the start of the session. Below is a timeline of which you should go through to make sure the session runs smoothly on your side. During an actual session, the instructor has limited time for troubleshooting, so it is important that the students be prepared.
T minus one day:
- For all: Make sure the appropriate lesson has been downloaded into the directory that we described on page 1.
- For students: Test your downloaded session using visitlocal.bat.
- For all: How is your internet connectivity? If there are any major problems with connectivity that may take more than a day to fix, be prepared to follow along with visitlocal.
- For instructors , be sure you know of an internet backup plan and have the lesson downloaded there.
- Also for instructors, make sure the appropriate quiz.txt file is in the same directory as the lesson.
T minus one hour:
- For all: Test your connectivity. Can you get out? Try running visit.bat and visitm.bat simultaneously. You will be able to verify your connection through the server.
- For all: Is your screensize set correctly? You should see the control panel when pulling up any of the "ViewClients". If you do not, you'll need to increase your screensize.
- For instructors, if the OSF server is down, try the visit-cimss or visit-cira files.
T minus 15 minutes:
- For all, dial into the conference phone number listed in the e-mail sent out by our instructors.
- For students: After checking in, put the 'MUTE' on , don't hit the 'HOLD' button.
- For Students:, execute the student version of VISITview explained in page 3.
- For instructors, execute the master version of VISITview explained on page 3.
- For Students, type in your station ID as a userID when the 'sign-in-window' box appears.
- For instructors, type in something reasonable so that you're identifiable.
- For instructors, The instructor will ask the students to test the connectivity by drawing or annotating.
- If there is a problem, check page 8 troubleshooting guide.
During the session:
- students: Keep the 'MUTE' button activated for the phone unless you're interacting. Watch to see that your slides and annotations advance reasonably quickly. Otherwise, learn.
- Instructors: While pausing, don't forget to look at the connection status.
The next page explains the "ViewClient"
control panels .