There are two website FAQ pages which include troubleshooting tips:
- From the creater of VISITview: Tom Whittaker's FAQ page.
- FAQ page from the Virtual Institute for Satellite Integration Training.
Common problems just before teletraining
If you've had a problem that's not listed here, please e-mail me at:
- Instructors and Students: If you try to use the alt- commands and nothing happens. This usually happens when your control panel is hidden. Typing alt-M or click on the right mouse button to bring the controls forward.
- Instructors and Students: You cannot find your control panel even upon hitting alt-M or the right mouse button. Your "ViewClient" window maybe too big and your controls are off the bottom of the screen. Go into your control panel and resize your screen.
- Instructors: If no one is able to connect, the server could be down. Ask everyone to execute the batch files to connect either to CIMSS or CIRA.
- Instructors: If your status window shows no connection anywhere but others are able to annotate to each other, then our local connection could be out before reaching the server. Usually when you try to advance a slide on visitm, an 'Exception error' pops up on the MS-DOS window. Switch to the backup computer connection. Also, check your groupname using the status window or by looking at the MS-DOS window after you hit the status button. There could be a very unlikely chance it is differen't than what the students have.
- Instructors: if one or two sites are out of connection but your status window shows most others connecting okay, the problem is on the student's end.
- Students: If you're in the minority in not connecting:
- check to see if you have an internet connection by alternate means (e.g., a browser).
- Execute visitm.bat and check the status window on your side. It will show you the groupname. Each lesson has a different groupname that allows the host server to differentiate different sessions that might be simultaneously occuring. Verify that it is the same as with the instructor. If it is not, then you have the wrong lesson version. You'll need to go back and retrieve the correct one.
- Check to see if you have the right lesson for the day.
- Students: If the problem is not quickly resolvable (like T plus 5 minutes) then follow along with visitlocal.
That is it. Check out the VISITview
Go to the DLOC homepage.