Dual Polarization Primer on the WES
Mailed to every WFO/RFC/CWSU in Dec 2009 was a set of jobsheets and training aids specifically designed for the WES. The jobsheets associated with this primer are available HERE, and the answer keys are available HERE. Search for the introductory module associated with this primer in the NWS e-learning site under "dual-pol primer".
1-12-10 Errata: A very slight error in one of the procedure sets for the primer was found. It affects only the lower right panel of the procedure for Jobsheet 2.5. It can be fixed by hand by unloading the products in the lower right panel, then reload to just that panel kcri 0.5 deg CC, and finally reload the LAPS standard environmental data package off the volume browser. Another option to fix the procedure is to download the new procedures here, then follow these steps to a successful fix:
1. on your WES, cd to /data/awips/dualpol_primer
2. rm -Rf userPrefs/fxa/dualpol_primer
3. copy the downloaded file
userPrefs_1-10-10.tar to /data/awips/dualpol_primer
4. tar xvf userPrefs_1-10-10.tar
2-12-10 New Problem with WES Training Aid: If you are having problems with the WDTD Training Aid (loaded from the Tools menu) where it won't pop up full size images, there is an issue with your flash security settings that only cropped up since the install of Red Hat 5. There are 2 solutions to this problem depending on whether or not your WES has an internet connection:
Questions or comments? Email the project lead at this address:
1. If your WES has an internet connection, simply go to the flash security settings page and add the actual path to the dualpol_primer case, which will probably being with /sata_data on your WES. This will fix the problem.
2. If you do not have an internet connection on our WES, you'll need to copy a new version of the training aid's main htm page onto your WES. DOWNLOAD the new file and be able to transfer it to your WES, then follow these steps:
On your WES, cd to /data/awips/dualpol_primer/epss/DualPol/DualPolTrainingAndReferences
Back up existing htm page, (i.e. mv DualPolmain.htm DualPolmain.htm.old)
c. Copy in the downloaded file "DPaid_fix.tar" and untar the file inside the DualPolTrainingAndReferences directory
d. Test that you can zoom into images off any of the training aids. You may have to clear your browser's cache first to see the changes take effect.
Last updated August 26, 2009